Harrisonburg never ceases to surprise and amaze me. When most people think of the Harrisonburg community, they might think of spending the day at Purcell Park, heading up to the ski slopes, or trying to pick up some of the classics at the Green Valley Book Fair. One aspect of town that doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves; however, is the local culinary scene. Once I moved off campus (and very reluctantly switched from the 14-punch plan) I finally had to discover the off-campus options for sustenance. Luckily, my search has lead me to find some local restaurants that go way beyond conquering my hunger and truly satisfy my cravings for quality dining.
Here’s a few places that everyone who comes through Harrisonburg should check out:
- Pizza – Franco’s is probably everyone’s first venture outside the realm of campus dining, but you just can’t beat a good slice of this classic college staple.
- Mexican food – Head to Jalisco’s when you are looking for a Mexican dish from somewhere other than the overrated El Charro’s.
- The downtown scene – Within a one block radius you get hit with three amazing choices depending on your current mood. There’s Daves Taverna for Greek food, Jack Brown’s for burgers, and Clementine for the unique atmosphere and challenging Tuesday night trivia.
- Breakfast – I don’t think I’ve met anyone that hasn’t tried and loved Mr. J’s Bagels, but you may not have branched out to the organic and delicious Little Grill Collective.
- Asian food – Taste of Thai is a nice diversion from the average delivery of Chinese.
- Dessert – Kline’s icecream is unmatched around the area, and when their flavor of the week is Cookies and Cream there’s a great chance that you’ll find me there.
With so much great food around the Harrisonburg community, it might be easy to forget about the high quality dining right here on JMU’s campus. The school consistently provides a premiere college dining experience. This year the Princeton Review ranked us as the 4th top college dining in the country. Keeping that in mind, I hope you enjoy the Pirate-themed Late Night Breakfast tonight catered by Dining Services.
P.S. I really want to try out Cuchi Guido’s Downtown. Let me know what you think about it.
(if you’re interested in finding out more about the local cuisine check out jmueats.wordpress.com)