“Let’s watch a Disney Channel Movie!”
Ah, what a sweet jingle that we all cherish and remember. Throughout the 90s and early 2000s, Disney Channel released—in my opinion—some of the best films a kid could dream of and have resulted in some awesome memories. Though it’s nearly impossible to choose just one Disney Channel Original Movie to define my childhood, here are five top picks that I could watch right now and feel completely unashamed.
- Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century – Zetus Lapetus! This Disney Channel favorite tells the story of space girl Zenon Kar, who ends up getting exiled to Planet Earth after making trouble in her space station. You can find the whole movie on YouTube, but here’s my favorite clip from the movie: Super Nova Girl being sung by Proto Zoa!
- Smart House – I’m convinced that this unbelievable, yet fantastically cheesy movie was an hour and a half long special for MTV Cribs—Pre-teens Edition.
This movie had everything that made the 90s so wonderful. Check out my favorite dance scene ever filmed, brought to you by Ben Cooper and his friends during the rager of the century.
- Halloweentown – Imagine a town where Halloween exists every day. Better yet, imagine that your deepest family secret reveals that you’re a young witch-in-training, and the bus your grandma takes actually transports her to an alternate universe of witches, goblins, and ghouls. Talk about a surprise!
- Stuck in the Suburbs – If you had the chance to change your fate, would you? And if by fate you mean accidentally stealing my favorite celebrity’s cellphone, and encouraging them to make life changing decisions, then yes. As one of the more recent movies on this list, Stuck in the Suburbs still had that Disney Channel innocence and charm to it.
Since I can’t resist a great pop song, here’s Jordan Cahill once he realizes his potential as a songwriter.
- Brink – It’s The Soul Skaters vs. Team X-Bladz in this tale of friendship and in-line skating. There almost aren’t words to describe one of Disney Channel’s finest, so here’s a much underrated scene from the movie that is filled with tension, hilarity, and the best acting of 1998.
I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Here is a complete list of Disney Channel Original Movies to help you to reminisce! Are there any that I missed? Comment below!
-Chantal Johnson, Film