Last Friday night was easily my favorite night of the semester so far. I was lucky enough to work the Aziz Ansari stand-up show in Memorial Hall. All throughout their performances both Aziz and his opener Dan Levy had me hunched over, uncontrollably laughing. If I wasn’t a fan of the headlining comedian before, I certainly am now. He claims that he always finds himself on trivial Top 5 lists, and in order to pay homage to his act. … I figured I could give him another one to (hopefully) stumble upon. These are my Top 5 “Oh Snap” moments from Aziz Ansari’s act at JMU:
5) Aziz describing his hangout session with “Paranoid” singer Kanye West. I couldn’t even imagine trying to keep a straight face while walking into the infamous rapper’s apartment to see him bobbing his head to his own CD in his own apartment claiming “these beats are sick!”
4) Trying to explain how it would be possible for someone to have actually eaten him. So he might have gained a little weight…that still doesn’t explain the caption of one fan – “Whoa! Who ate Aziz Ansari?” From being a regenerating cannibal to someone making an “Aziz” suit after dining on the Parks and Recreations star – these theories were both absurd and hilarious.
3) The chronicles of Harris, Aziz’s “chubby” cousin. This combined visual and auditory impersonations of Harris stuffing his face with Cinnabon was almost too much to take.
2) Everyone’s favorite Funny Person – Raaaaaaaandy – made a much celebrated appearance during the show Friday night. The character’s an instant classic, and seeing it performed live was an amazing experience.
1) Aziz dealing with his rating on the Breeze-o-Meter. On Thursday’s edition of our newspaper The Breeze, the comedian placed very high on the scale of “What’s Hot” around the JMU community. However, he was ranked only second best – slightly beneath the annual music festival named Spaghettifest. The Observe and Report actor saw this rating and assumed that the event was literally a celebration of pasta – and that he was not quite as exciting to our campus as some good ol’ noodles. Needless to say this recurring joke was a favorite among the crowd.
There were many close calls that didn’t quite make the list (including Aziz getting in a car accident because he thought a girl had a beak….only to find out it was actually an ice cream cone). All I can say is that I’m glad that I took a night off from the typical weekend at JMU and got an opportunity to see and even take a picture with this up-and-coming star.